Gillian at Skybluepinkish nominated me for a Liebster Award. The Leibster highlights up-and-coming blogs and helps to feed the content dragon. How kind! Responding to this nomination involves a lot of work, but its also rather fun. As exemplified in Gillian’s post, the lucky blogger shares 11 random facts about themselves from the endearing …
I used to make tar lollipops in the summer when the tar melted and seeped into the gutter.
… to the historic …
I have sat on John Lennon’s and Yoko Ono’s knees.
… and then answers 11 questions from the nominatorator, wherein we may discover some surprising facts:
We have 5 cats, 3 dogs, 1 parrot, 2 goldfish, 2 geese and assorted chickens.
Finally the nominee poses 11 unique questions and nominates 11 other bloggers for the award – simples!
So here goes:
11 facts about me
1. When I was 12, I wanted to be a “tree surgeon” because I thought that was someone who cares for sick trees.
2. My first bicycle was called “Froggie Moore”, after a tune by Jelly Roll Morton; my next bike was called “Amiahaz”, after a runner in the Bible; and my first car was called “Lucy”, after an early fossil hominid.
3. My grandfather played rugby for South Africa but I took up sailing in order to get out of playing rugby at school.
4. According to my media player stats, J.S. Bach wrote about 30% of what I listen to.
5. I don’t like long sleeves; they make my arms feel inhibited and I always think I’d have the advantage without them – in a fight.
6. My favourite scent is sandalwood.
7. People struggle to get my name right: I have been called Selwyn, Secombe, Semen, Simon and Sigfried in my time.
8. I prefer brandy over whiskey.
9. I didn’t like kindergarten: much to my mother’s chagrin, I upped and walked home at break time – twice.
10. There are gaps in my cultural education: I have never read ‘Harry Potter’, watched ‘Jaws’ or played ‘Angry Birds’.
11. I have a nasty scar on my right knee from tripping over a dog and landing on barbed wire when I was 12.
1. Have you ever had a dream come true? How? … I once dreamed that I was roller-blading; it was fun so I bought some roller blades the next day.
2. What was your most serious misdemeanour at school? Were you caught? … I wore dark glasses in a school photo; it was difficult not to be caught.
3. Do you snore? Have you ever voluntarily or involuntarily tried any cures? … Yes, but a neti pot helps.
4. What was the last song that stuck in your head? … The Derry Hornpipe; my brain has an internal juke box of traditional airs.
5. Tulips or daffodils? Why? … Tulips – they seem more exotic and remind me of a happy holiday in the Netherlands.
6. Do you prefer to cook or to eat? … On balance, I prefer to cook; I enjoy it and I like to have control over what goes in my food.
7. Are you a Townie or a Country bumpkin? Not in reality but in your heart. … Definitely a country bumpkin – I long for the chalk downs of the South on a daily basis.
8. What is in your handbag/briefcase/rucksack/pockets right now? Chose one or more. … At this very moment, my man-bag contains a small Moleskine notebook, a pencil case full of whiteboard markers and an egg timer; I have not unpacked it since the last workshop I gave.
9. Do you think beauty is in the eye of the beholder or are some things inherently ugly? … The effects of violence are inherently ugly.
10. Do you have a party trick? (And what is it?) … Cossack dancing
11. What do you do when faced with a big spider staring back at you from the bath? … I calmly fetch a glass and a piece of card and relocate the creature to the garden.
1. Tattoo? (Yes, no, maybe one day)
2. Have you ever collected anything a bit odd? (What was it?)
3. If you had the time and money to further your education, what would you study?
4. In the Hollywood feature film of your life, who would you like to play the title role?
5. What was the last song or piece of music you listened to?
6. If you were stuck in a lift for an hour, which historical figure would you most like to have for company?
7. What is the next book you hope to read?
8. In a house fire,which of your possessions would you most like to save (apart from the house)?
9. What would be your ultimate comfort food?
10. Where do you stand on politicians, from “I don’t vote” to “they are our only hope”?
11. Could you summarise how you see your mission in life in a single sentence? (What would it be?)
- Jess at thefilthycomma
- Ben at These Thoughts of Mine
- Emily at throughthelattice
- Eugene at 27th Street
- Tom at The Blog
- Aliya at Three Magical
- Dr J at Heart Soul Mind and Strength
- Matt at Confessions of an Undercover Theologian
- Jon at Mish-mashed Mind
- Kat at Pondering Pancakes
- John at Not Built With Hands
Filed under: Blogging, Miscellanea | Tagged: Leibster, Nostalgia | 19 Comments »